The annual Academy Awards, Hollywood’s biggest and most glamorous event, will air this Sunday night. Amid the excitement, there is some controversy. For the second year in a row, there are no nominees of color in the acting categories. The lack of diversity in nominees could reflect a larger pattern in the industry since many of Hollywood’s most influential people, both in front of and behind the camera, are white. Listen to this story and answer these questions:
- How is the racial makeup of the Academy’s voting body relevant to this story?
- According to Bobby Rivers, why do many talented actors of color transition from movies to T.V.?
- How might this situation be different if there were more people of color working within the industry?
- In what ways could famous white actors intervene to affect change?
- Do you think it’s important for Hollywood to recognize diverse actors?
- Should there be more diversity at Oscars?
- What steps could the movie industry take to encourage more diversity?