To what extent are good manners important?
Do you think our society in general is becoming less civil and more rude? Why or why not?
Do you remember an occasion when somebody was impolite to you?
Do you remember an occasion when you could have been more polite to someone else?
What examples of good manners do you think are most essential?
What examples of bad manners annoy you the most?
- Someone not saying please or thank you
- Holding the door open for women
- Someone picking their nose
- Burping when eating or drinking
- Boasting about money
- Talking about your achievements
- Slapping someone on the back
- Someone invading your personal space
- Arriving late for a meeting or a date
- Staring at people
- Putting your elbows on the table when you eat
- Not covering your mouth when yawning
- Not giving your seat to an elderly person on public transport
- Staring at someone
- Telling rude jokes
What eating habits do you consider unacceptable?
What are your feelings about public displays of affection?
Do you usually complain if you have a problem in a shop or a restaurant?
Who do you habitually defer to: e.g. your parents, older people, your boss?
Do you have a laid-back attitude to life or are you more uptight?
To illustrate the point you can watch the Speakout video Behaviour, where a number of passers-by answer these questions:
Give a recent example of when you experienced good or bad manners.
Do you think our attitude to behaviour changes as we get older?
What kind of behaviour in public places gets on your nerves?
Thanks to mythatsenglish.blogspot.com